Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

How Neutral Are We?

The words most bandied about on the net is "culturally neutral" and "neutral point of view" etc. So, um, are we so neutered as to be so "neutralized?" Guess it makes my mind go a bit hazy there.

None other than the online encyclopedia wikipedia wants their articles to have a "neutral point of view" so that people don't post stuff that is self-motivated, and chauvinistic. As a content writer I am instructed to write in a "culturally neutral" language, i.e., no Indian words and phrases like "time-to-time" and "do the needful."

Okay, okay, I say, I have neutered my language, polished my content to avoid all those traces of my Indian-ness, but is that what we want?

|

No comments: