Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

We Will Not Be Defeated: Ratan Tata




Ratan Tata, chairman of the Tata Group, which owns Hotel Taj in an interview with Farid Zakaria of Zakaria GPS (Global Public Square) which was telecast by CNN reproduced by Rediff.com.

"Well, you know, we were getting the cooperation that they could give us, but the infrastructure was woefully poor. Fires raged for almost three hours before we could get, on that first night, any fire engines who were there to respond with water.

"The police were woefully inadequate in terms of equipment and in terms of being prepared.

"And it was only after the army and the commandos came in -- and even they were, in relative terms, ill-equipped against these militants, who were very well trained, seemed to have a plan of action.

"And it has led me to believe that what the city really needs is a crisis management group that could step into action instantly when we have a situation like this, where there's a plan of action, where they can deal with these kinds of crises instantly and well and professionally, and the people get equipped to do so."

Well knowing as to how much Taj has become a favorte with me, I am glad to hear of the Tatas' never die spirit. Taj is and was a favorite haunt since I used to work close to it for nearly 15 years of my life. I loved the air of luxury it had, the good food, the ambience of quiet elegance. In a former avataar as an editor of the Bombay Management Association I was wined and dined in most of its restaurants by certain captains of the industry and I had a peek into their expense-account lifestyles. 

Even now when I am in the area I spend some quiet moments in my favorite restaurants: Sea Lounge and Shamiana. The net describes luxury as "something that is an indulgence rather than a necessity." I needed those moments of luxury to rejuvenate and recharge myself. Hope Taj gets back on its feet soon, and the graceful structure is restored to its former glory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd like to go there when it reopens.

Unknown said...

HI Daniel,

Me too!

John