Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

About Apple Employees in China Who Are Committing Suicide

Didn't know suicides aren't the problem we are facing. Hm. It's prevalent in the cities of China too. It seems, according to this article courtesy Valleywag that Apple employees in China are committing suicide. The problem has gotten so vexing, so to say, that they have introduced a clause in the employment contract which makes an employee pledge that he/she will not commit suicide (something to that effect, the language is very vague):

Quote

1. If I encounter problems and difficulties after entering the company, I will ask for help from the "Employee Care Center" [...]

2. [...]I will not harm myself or others; I agree that, in order for the company to protect me and others, it can send me to a hospital should I exhibit abnormal physical or mental problems.

3. [...] In the event of non-accidental injuries (including suicide, self mutilation, etc.), I agree that the company has acted properly in accordance with relevant laws and regulations, and will not sue the company[...]

Unquote

Firstly, these are days of economic hegemony, dominance of multinational brands and corporations. Having worked in outsourcing I know how much pressure a client sitting in the US or thereabouts can exert over outsourced employees. They increase targets which gets so harassing that employees dig into a hole from which there is no escape. Familiar territory, eh?

Secondly, how can anyone pledge that one wouldn't take one's own life? Agreed, it's a crime. But isn't society (in this case a greedy corporate) equally responsible for driving a man/woman to suicide? This comes to this blogger as shocking news after the various reports of farmers committing suicides in different parts of the country.

Corporatisation, huh?

No comments: