Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Best Selling Books of All Time

Which are the largest selling books of all time, except the Bible and other holy books, of course. I wondered. On searching I found the following list on Wikipedia. The read letters against them indicate the books I have read.

Books that sold more than 100 million copies


A Tale of Two Cities                          Charles Dickens (read)

The Lord of the Rings                        J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit                                        J. R. R. Tolkien

Dream of the Red Chamber                Cao Xueqin

And Then There Were None               Agatha Christie


Books that sold between 50 million and 100 million copies


The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe  C. S. Lewis

She                                                    H. Rider Haggard

Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince)          Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry

The Da Vinci Code                               Dan Brown (read)

Think and Grow Rich                            Napoleon Hill (read)

The Catcher in the Rye                         J. D. Salinger (read)

O Alquimista (The Alchemist)                Paulo Coelho (read)

Steps to Christ                                     Ellen G. White (read)

Lolita                                                   Vladimir Nabokov (read)

Heidis Lehr- und Wanderjahre

(Heidi's Years of Wandering and Learning)               Johanna Spyri (read)

The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care    Dr. Benjamin Spock (read)

Anne of Green Gables                                            Lucy Maud Montgomery

Black Beauty                                                        Anna Sewell (read)

Il Nome della Rosa (The Name of the Rose)             Umberto Eco


The lovable little girl Heidi's story was a favourite and I didn't know it was such a best seller. Dr. Benjamin Spock's book was a constant favourite when I had come to live in my new home in New Bombay. We didn't have any good doctors around and it was the sole companion for all ailments that my son went through. Lolita of course is still a favourite and I have read it three or four times. I had read Napoleon Hill's book during my mis-adventure with Amway. They made me read self-development books.I intend to read the other books, too, if only to find out what made them such super successes.

No comments: