Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Monday, April 18, 2011

A Book that Made a Deep Impression Early in My Life

One of the most memorable books I have read is Leo Tolstoy's "War and Peace." Magnificent in sweep, extended in time and space, and telescoping various elements, the novel is a statement of humanity as never portrayed before. Revisiting the big tome recently I wondered how I had finished it two score years ago (forty years, since score consists of 20 members). Such a vivid and picturesque style of writing cannot be imagined. Though in those days I didn't understand much English, I persisted and read it over three months. Each time I felt like abandoning it, something really interesting would turn up in the narrative and I was hooked.

This novel is - I wouldn't dare say one of the - the best novel that's ever been written. It has made a deep influence on me at that time and is responsible in part with my decision to become a writer. Do read it if you can get hold of a copy.

No comments: