Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Invited to Speak at Tedx Rourkela

Another Sunday, another day of rest. I went for my morning round of badminton only to realise that my friends had finished their quota for the day and were homeward bound. Gah! To think I was looking for a longer round of play today, being a holiday and all. Just a random thought: how many people neglect to do what they should be doing thinking it will happen, somehow or the other? I am one of them as I am sure are a lot of you.

With this in view, I accepted an invitation to speak at TEDx Rourkela. It's always a pleasure to be invited to speak at a Tedx event. You get to learn a lot. But Rourkela seemed a bit intimidating. I booked my train tickets online and lo and behold I am ready to go. Got to prepare on the topic of "Energise your Thought." A very tough subject to handle, but I am sure I can talk a lot on that. Actually, it isn't about talking a lot as talking something meaningful. I was actually energizing my thoughts about sharing my experiences with young people. My profile on their site is here.

Here's a quote I found from Lao Tzu:

Energizing  thoughts:

"Be careful what you water your dreams with.

Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dreams.

Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success"

If only we could water our dreams with optimism and solutions instead of worry and fear. My fears aren't what it used to be. I used to be a coward. I have now gotten rid of my fears and can perform better than I used to. I guess for performing one needs to concentrate and be prepared and not be afraid. 

Anyway, I have spoken in public and am a trained public speaker, which gives me confidence. So over the coming weeks I will be writing my presentation and rehearsing it before my wife. Alas, she is the only audience on whom I can inflict my creative spiel. I am thankful to her for the various improvements she has suggested in my previous appearances before audiences. Hope she does this time around too.

No comments: