Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Thursday, October 20, 2011

French Journalists Series of Lectures on Nuclear Safeguards Cancelled. Why?

Here's proof of how diplomacy and arms purchases influence humanitarian and humane considerations such as a series of lectures on nuclear safety.

French journalist Naike Desquesnes was all set to deliver a month-long trip series of lectures in India on "Covering Nuclear Energy Post-Fukushima" at six Alliance Francaise centres. (Fukushima reactor in Japan had a melt down, read here.) That's when she received a phone call from out of the blue. The caller was director of Alliance Francaise, Bangalore, who said the lecture series is canceled. Oh-huh. Reason?

French nuclear plant manufacturer Areva thought the subject wasn't appropriate as they were negotiating to sell the said plants to India. The matter was delicate in the post-Fukushima scenario. More delicate since India had insisted on post-Fukushima nuclear safeguards to be completed.

Now, poor yokel that I am, I don't know why the corporate is afraid of a mere journalist (one of my kind I guess) speaking about safeguards when all is going to be well with the world, in post-Fukushima world, as I am told. Now, why this diplomatic brouhaha over a simple matter as a series of lectures? Smell something rotten here?

Will our talented investigative journalists do an expose, please?

I am @johnwriter on Twitter and John.Matthew on Facebook. I blog here.

No comments: