Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Art as a Subversive Act

How about this? Asked to make a film about "Art as a Subversive Act"  independent filmmaker Caveh Zahedi of "I Am a Sex Addict" fame went overboard. His brief was that he can make a film on whatever subject he chose except anything that make fun of the Sheikh who was sponsoring the Middle East Biennial of films.

Maven maverick that he is, he turned his camera on the Biennial itself and, quite shamelessly, pressed every culturally sensitive button he find about the Sheikh. The result was the film "The Sheikh and I." But not everybody was pleased. Zahedi's film has earned the dubious reputation of being branded as blasphemy, has been banned, and he has been threatened with a fatwa.

I am @johnwriter on Twitter and John.Matthew on Facebook. I blog here.

No comments: