Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Monday, July 02, 2012

The Famous Five Still the Favourite English Series for Children

It says in this article in Guardian that the Famous Five series by Enid Blyton consisting of: Julian, Dick, George, and Anne, are still the most popular children's books in the UK. They polled 30 per cent of the votes leaving behind Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with 22 per cent.

Why am I blogging about this? Because they were my favourite too. I remember the pleasure of reading the Famous Five's adventures and about George's father who was a mad scientist who would tolerate no loud talk or adventure in the house. Reading the series made me hungry always. Because Blyton described food rather nicely and the result was I would be hungry. Then there were gypsies, thieves, robbers, shady characters who loomed in the darkness. How sweet was innocence!

Forty years have passed. Some days ago I picked up a Famous Five series book and glanced through the contents. All that it contained seemed irrelevant, somehow I couldn't relate. I had matured. I had become alienated and lonely and not innocent anymore. Sigh! That's life.

I am @johnwriter on Twitter and John.Matthew on Facebook. I blog here. View my Youtube Channel Page. Read about my novel Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard.

No comments: